Pages

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Happy Plastic People

All day I've been signing a song to myself by Casting Crowns called Stained Glass Masquerade. It is a very sad and painful song to listen to. It cuts to the heart of what is wrong Christendom today. I have experienced both sides of the masquerade that the song speaks of. I like listening to it though because it tugs on my heart to cry out to Jesus. Listen to it: Stained Glass Masquerade. Here are the complete lyrics:

Is there anyone that fails
Is there anyone that falls
Am I the only one in church today,
feelin so small

Cause when I take a look around
Everybody seems so strong
I know they'll soon discover
That I don't belong

So I tuck it all away,
like everything's okay
If I make them all believe it,
maybe I'll believe it too
So with a painted grin,
I play the part again
So everyone will see me
the way that I see them

Are we happy plastic people
Under shiny plastic steeples
With walls around our weakness
And smiles to hide our pain

But if the invitation's open
To every heart that has been broken
Maybe then we close the curtain on our stained glass masquerade

Is there anyone who's been there
Are there any hands to raise
Am I the only one who's traded
In the altar for a stage

The performance is convincing
And we know every line by heart
Only when no one is watching
Can we really fall apart

But would it set me free
If I dared to let you see
The truth behind the person
That you imagine me to be

Would your arms be open
Or would you walk away
Would love of Jesus
Be enough to make you stay

3 comments:

Reegz said...

Pat,

That is awesome! I love it. Glory!

Heather said...

Hey, I blog and I was actually looking for the lyrics to this song because the kids at my church are going to be using it for a true love waits weekend in the fall. We are going to sign to it... just had me thinking too, so I thought I'd post a response to your posting :)

Unknown said...

Hello Feather...thanks for the comment.