Pages

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I Want to Be Like That

I guess it is time to start posting again...since Convergence is back in the game with a new post yesterday. Man, it has been so long I didn't think I'd ever get to post about all these thoughts swirling around in my brain. Incidentally, check out what Porter posted about. He has started a new project where you can discuss directly with him what goes on in his head - I encourage you to visit and contribute often. Porter is a thinking man.

I realize most people have thoughts of the Christmas season on their minds these days. Soon though, things will change and most people will be looking back at the year 2006 and ahead to 2007. This is not going to be a post about setting New Years Resolutions. Personally I think one should always be looking at what matters most in life. Frankly, resolutions should be created or renewed at least daily.

The practice of setting daily resolutions is really just the practice of reminding yourself about the "majors" of life. So, obviously then, there must be major resolutions in life to think about. Nothing is more major than God, Jesus, The Gospel, God's Kingdom, God's People, and God's Rule.

I find much value in the resolutions of Jonathan Edwards (Click here to read them) They are incredibly inspiring. Edwards wrote these resolutions in 1722 and 1723 in his late teens early twenties. Amazing! To have such clarity of mind and focus as to what life is all about. Again, amazing! (Huh...and to think he didn't even own a blackberry.)

I've often wondered how Edward's resolutions would look in a categorized list of some sort. What categories of life would they touch? Are they all just about being more spiritual? Are they applicable to life today? Do they touch all areas of life?

I actually thought about analyzing the list of resolutions and categorizing them myself. But thankfully I came across this blog post where the author has already done the work. Here is how the blog author categorized Edward's resolution:



1. To live for God’s glory (see resolutions #s 1, 4, 27).

2. To make the most of this life, in terms of eternal impact (see #s 5, 6, 7, 9, 17, 19, 23, 52, 54, 69).

3. To take sin seriously (see #s 8, 24, 25, 26, 37, 56, 57).

4. To become theologically astute (see #s 11, 28, 30, 39)

5. To be humble (see #s 12, 43, 68)

6. To exhibit self-control in all things (see #s 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 40, 44, 45, 59, 60, 61, 64, 65)

7. To always speak with grace and truth (see #s 16, 31, 33, 34, 36, 38, 46, 47, 58, 66, 70)

8. To constantly develop an eternal focus (see #s10, 18, 22, 50, 51, 55, 67)

9. To be a faithful Christian, in prayer and dedication (see #s 29, 32, 35, 41, 42, 63).

10. To daily pursue a fervent love for Christ (see #s 48, 49, 53, 62)


This is great work! Who can argue? I will make resolutions for 2007. But the resolutions will be solid enough to last a lifetime. I do need to lose more weight. I would like to be more organized. But, life is not about those minor things. I don't want to major in the minors with self-centered resolutions. Jonathan Edwards knew God. I want to be like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Edwards didn't have a blackberry how was he sanctified?

Unknown said...

I will answer that question in a future post "The Sanctifying Means of the Blackberry"