Pages

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Lamenting With Others

This morning my family endured another step in the process of being refined by God through suffering. Someday I will blog about the specifics of this complex trial, but for now, thinking it's wise and honoring to God, I will stay pretty general. I just have too many emotions and scattered thoughts swirling around to saying anything glorifying about what my family is going through right now.

I have been through much pain in my life. Frankly, I've caused a lot of it. I trust God everyday to lead me through the consequences of some of the choices I've made in the past. I continue to grow closer to Christ. I trust the same Christ today...that He will lead me and my family through this trial that was brought about by someone other than myself.

During this time of suffering my wife and I have been most encouraged by the support of our brothers and sisters (in Christ.) These people know us, past, present, and future. I thank God for them! What makes these people so great is not just that they know us, it is that they know how to suffer with us. Suffering with someone else is a crafted skill and our supporters have it. Praise God for that as well!

What does it look like to suffer with someone? To actually lament with people? It is much more than feeling bad for someone, or even saying you will pray for them. I did say it is a skill but in a sense I believe it is a gift. Here is a great blog post that explains what it looks like to practically suffer with someone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pat for the link to the other post on Lamenting. It too came at a great and perfect time for me as well (should I be surprised that God is in ALL the details!!) That is so true though we try to help because we love but sometimes saying nothing is sooo much better. I know with me sometimes I don't want advice or an answer just for someone to say I'm sorry cbass that this is hard for you or I'm sure it does suck and I hate it for you!! After all we can't be strong or "so called strong" all the time. Whatever it is you and Carla are going through I lament with you guys. I love you both and will keep praying.

Unknown said...

thanks cbass. yeah, don't you like that statement, "I hate it for you."? it's perfect!

Carla said...

Pastor Porter borrowed me the book The Lost Language of Lament by Michael Card. EXCELLENT!! I am with ya, babe.

Unknown said...

yes I saw the book that Porter loaned to you Babe and I've heard you talk much about it. Love ya!

kristi noser said...

Thank you Pat, that made my eye twitch...

I'm with you all, all the way through this crapola.
XOXOXOXOXOX

Anonymous said...

Isn't that what our Heavenly Father is asking of us, Is to lift up the body and to strengten and and morn with you. When we are weakest He is the strongest and thats when He carries us.