Pages

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Diagnosing The Problem With Men

What's wrong with boys in our culture? What's wrong with all the men?

This article describes the problem as being Posttraumatic Absentee Father Stress Disorder (PTASFD).

A few initial thoughts:
  1. As my good friend Ron pointed out, the premise is right. I think it is dead on.
  2. I found myself laughing through most of the article. I am not sure why though. Could it be the picture of Brad Pitt displaying his bravado (his what?) or the labeling of another disorder?
  3. At the same time, I connect to much of what is said. I live with PTASFD...rather, I do battle with it everyday, on both the receiving and delivering end of it. The war against PTASFD must be fought and won (see, I am laughing again.)
  4. Overall I like the article but not the recommendation to John Eldredge's latest book. I've read his previous best seller (still), Wild at Heart at least twice, I tried to "get into it", I thought he was on to something, but I am more inclined to think this way about Eldredge.
I am still laughing. PTASFD makes me laugh. Why? I don't think it should. It is very serious business.

2 comments:

Reegz said...

Great stuff Pat. I am with you on the Eldridge thoughts as well. So many people pass around "Captivated" or whatever it's called but I can't even give it a chance after Wild at Heart. He has some other disturbing thoughts as well. I am still laughing though...I think mostly because you were laughing...and the comment,"is he stoked that I'm his son?" Stoked? Alright then.

erin said...

I have some feelings about Mr. Eldridge and his relationship to my marriage, but we won't go there. I can understand why you're laughing at this--it's one of those things that you just can't help but laugh at. What IS the problem with men? Clearly, masculinity has gone wild. If only we could get it under control.