Pages

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Rare Is Death By Stingray, But Fitting Nonetheless

No news report will ever be able to convey the tremendous loss to his wife and two children of husband and father, Steve Irwin. The man was great to watch, very engaging, and I liked his passionate teaching style more than anything else. But before all that, let no one forget, he was a loving husband and daddy first.

Most all the reporting on Irwin's death includes some statement about how rare it is to actually die from the sting of a stingray. Yes it is rare but I think this fact is being viewed incorrectly by all the news reports. I get the sense that some how, because of the oddity, Irwin's death is more of a tragedy because he didn't die by some other means, like in the grasp of a croc. I think Irwin's legacy will be honored more because he died by a rare occurrence. Irwin was known for his rare style. Why would the "Croc Hunter" want to die by the croc?

4 comments:

Carla said...

Steve Irwin probably wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I am grieving because I feel for his family's loss and ours as well. Remember the nights we watched him and the kids couldn't take their eyes off the screen?

erin said...

It is sad, but also brings a smile, because I think you're right, Streams--he probably wouldn't have wanted it any other way. It is a tragedy for his family more than anything else--thanks for such a nice post.

erin said...

You should know I used the word "smile" for lack of a better way to describe it. I don't mean to sound insensitive. (I save that for other times!)

Unknown said...

I understand what you mean Erin.