Do a search on this blog for electricity and you'll come across a few stories of my journey of self-discovery into the callings I have been shown not to pursue. In this case, I've proved once again I am not a do-it-yourself-handyman-electrician.
I took another round of 110 through my right arm this last weekend while installing track lighting. I'll spare the details of how it happened but I promise, this time, I took all known safety precautions in order to keep myself alive. Namely, like any learned human being, I shut off the breakers to the circuit I was working on. How in the world did I get shocked? The lighting unit was all installed and I of course needed to test it - show me the light. I flipped the breaker back on, flicked the light switch, and there was the light. Great! I did it! Success.
Something didn't seem quite right. There was too much space between two of the four lights and so I decided to slide them closer together. Oh, and I didn't like the looks of the the exposed wiring so I tucked it back into the main housing. Immediately after the sparks, explosion, shock, and pain, I observed in awe the major damage to the track. It is all a matter of perspective though. I suppose some welding experts would admire the perfect welding bond of the main unit to the track. I guess I won't be making any small adjustments to it now. Yeah, looks good to me. The lights still work and I have feeling back in my finger tips again. Project complete.
I used to think I could die by accidentally electrocuting myself. Today I am thinking differently. I think I have proved I will never die by the power of electricity. Some will say I am Electroman in the making. I am not there yet but I am aware of a small shift in my thinking. Electroman? It could happen!