Pages

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Personal Results: 2006 St. Paul Inline Marathon

1 hr 46 minutes

Besides my finish time, what a great day for the race! Unbelievable! And talk about fast. I averaged 14.7 miles an hour. The absolute greatest aspects about this year were the drafting and pacelines I participated in. No doubt drafting helped me with the good time, and I was happy to help other skaters with me as well. I am still processing the whole event and right now I am thinking of how much fun those pacelines were. A paceline works something like this, ten (or so) people in a single file line skating together taking turns at the front of the pack, pointing out tar snakes and holes in the cement, pushing each other up and down hills (sometimes literally), and everyone encouraging each other. Awesome! Like I said, the best part.

By the way, I fell around mile 10. Actually, better said, I skipped off the pavement on my left calve. Technically it was a fall but I was up faster than the fall itself occurred. I was switching from front to back of a line and another line was approaching I could see. Combined with shadows from the bridges, this all made for a slightly confusing moment. I didn't miss a beat with the group. I looked around at a few skaters and asked "Did I just fall?", they all confirmed with "But what a nice recovery." Thank God it was.

I am still waiting for the official written in stone results, which will be posted on the event's website sometime later today. Get this, the Pro Elite winner finished in 1 hr 8 minutes! I'd like to know what time and average speed I had for the first 13.1 and then the last 13.1.

Thank you to my wife and children for being at the finish line today and the support for the (x-stream) training I put myself through. I like to at least pretend I am an pro. Hey, Kristi was there today too, thanks for the cowbells!

Finally, I finished 39 minutes ahead of my time last year. Next year's goal, finish under 1 hr 40 minutes.

UPDATE: Official results are in. You'll need to do a search on my last name or bib number 1761.

9 comments:

Timotheos said...

Congrats, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Hooray!

Carla said...

Great job, babe!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, Pat!! Wow, 39 minutes off last year, that's quite a feat. Way to stick with it. You're an inspiration to many!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Pat!!! I'm proud of your stick-to-it-iveness! Love you! Mom

Reegz said...

Way to go Pat! Finally! What's next?! I was following your training....

Unknown said...

Thank you all!

erin said...

Well-done, Pat! It sounded great!

Brandy Dopkins said...

Whoo hoo! you go man!