Yes the race itself was fun. But I liked training for it better. I also really love to analyze how things went. Here is what I've found:
- I finished in the top 1/3 out of 881 finishers.
- If I would have raced in the most advanced class before pro, I would have finished in the middle of the pack. This makes sense because for the first five miles or so, all I did was pass people. Next year I can move up at least to the fitness class if I want to. This will help with having more opportunities to draft sooner.
- My fastest average speed overall was on the section that I crashed - 15.7 mph. I figure I was doing at least 20 mph when I fell.
- I had a 14.86 average speed the last 6 miles of the race, this is more than my overall average of 14.7.
- Did I do my absolute best? Between mile 5 and 13, yes. But overall, no. I could have gone faster between 13 and 20 miles. I only averaged 13.8 mph.
- Believe it or not, the highlight of the race was that stretch where I crashed. I was skating full tilt, balancing on that fine line between "the zone" and total insanity.